Monday, January 23, 2012

BIM in Small-Scale Sustainable Design

image

At the beginning of last year I was contacted by Francois Levy, a registered Texas architect & researcher. He explained he was writing a book focused on BIM strategies for sustainable design in small & medium sized architectural projects. On further discussions he wanted to include a case study from this very blog; my parameterized Hauer Curtain Wall example.

SAMSUNG

As ever, I was honoured to get the opportunity to get my work published. So this morning I received a copy of Francois fruits of labour & on initial inspection the result looks excellent. I have heard it said many times, how does a small firm get into BIM? Isn’t BIM just for large firms? I would actually argue that with the right mindset, a clear strategy & willingness to make it succeed, then in many ways a small firm will find it easier to implement BIM than a large multi-national. Whilst I have yet to read the book from cover to cover, this looks to be a great read for any small firm who wants to understand how BIM & sustainability & tightly connected. Check it out from the Wiley website.

http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470590890.html

Once again I would like to extend my thanks to Francois for including my work in his book.

2 comments :

Derek Maher said...

Thanks so much for this suggestion; I've been trying to get a friend of mine with a small residential practice to use BIM ever since he started up. I will definitely let him know about this book!

Derek Maher said...

Thanks so much for this suggestion; I've been trying to get a friend of mine with a small residential practice to use BIM ever since he started up. I will definitely let him know about this book!