Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Windows 7 64bit working with Revit 2009 and Revit 2010

imageI have been fortunate enough to have my laptop wiped down and Windows XP64 removed and replaced with Windows 7 64bit! This is for me to test Windows 7 and see its suitability for Revit. I am running a Dell Latitude E6400 with 8gigs of RAM, Quadro NVS 160M graphics card as my primary machine. Its never going to be as fast as workstation, but for day to day use and travel its ideal.

Originally the laptop had Windows XP64 installed. This OS was never geared up for mobile use and to be honest I have had all sorts of  stability issues with Revit 2010 on this laptop. This was mainly due to poor graphics card drivers for XP64.

image

So far I am please to report my Windows 7 experience with Revit 2009 and Revit 2010 (ribbon mode) is extremely positive. Its like having a new machine! Revit 2010 (ribbon mode) has been stable as a rock, with no crashes.

Windows 7 is really what Vista should have been, but failed to deliver. I’m guessing many firms who did not make the jump to Vista will be looking at Windows 7 and wondering whether its right for them and will live up to the hype. Microsoft seemed to have learnt from their mistakes and in my humble view it does deliver, its certainly providing me with the stability I require to run my favourite app. There are some really nifty features, old hat to the Mac user but great to see on the Windows platform.

It should also be noted that Autodesk have  not officially  announced support for Windows 7, although I would expect to see it after Windows 7 is released.

1 comment :

KyleB said...

David,
This subject came up over on the Revit3D blog. Check out that post for more info on Revit support for Windows 7.

http://bimboom.blogspot.com/2009/09/autodesks-official-response-to-windows.html

Cheers,
Kyle B
Product Manager
BIM Simulation & Emerging Tech