Friday, September 18, 2009

Gaudi form

Most of my ideas for trying things in Revit either come from things around me, which I see on a day to day basis or from example of designs that others have created. My latest experiment comes from a design which appeared on the HOK Life blog. It actual a stool designed by Bram Geenen a designer based in the Netherlands who was inspired by Gaudi. I loved the form so much I wondered if was possible to create in Revit?

_gaudi-stool_Bram_Geenen-yatzer_3

I started by attempting to build the form in one massing family, which sort of worked, but it was challenging getting all the parameters to work as I wanted. So I tried an approached I have used in the past of creating the family, setting up a rig of reference lines and parameters, I then saved this family. The original family was then copied and I add geometry to the copied families reference line rig. This was then loaded back into the original family where I then just linked the parameters together, so the master family was able to drive nested parameters. If you look below this is the original master family.

imageThe copied master family was used to create the legs…….

imageThe master family with the nested “leg” family……..

imageI then added some reference lines and tied the parameters from the form to loose labelled parameters which allowed me to interactively modify the form. I actually found creating a separate view to just allow me to adjust the loose labelled parameters a useful trick.

imageimageFinally, I dumped the family into a project and applied some walls and roof by face and rendered.Not exactly the same as the original form, but very close.

image   imageIf you are interested, the family can be downloaded from here.

Ed “apologises it would seem that I messed up the link for downloading, its now working”

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Great job, its a good example of form control thru model entities and it's interesting to see how you can control parts with a general structure.

Best Regards, Nauplius.