Thursday, April 04, 2013

More AT-AT fun

photo

So I have been fooling around with FormIT a lot, gives me something to do & actually is a great de-stress app! So over the weekend I knocked this little beauty up.

Oh yes, another couple of AT-AT's, this time modelled in FormIT. This got me thinking even more, if I sync'd these to my Autodesk 360 account, this will get converted to a SAT file. At which stage I could then download the SAT file into Revit 2014 & try the new explode feature on the SAT. Apart from a rather cranky scale, the SAT file seem to import fine, however, I was missing some faces.

image

When I tried to the explode to objects, that wasn’t so successful as most of the geometry disappeared! However, a quick import into AutoCAD yielded more promising results.

image

Then I tried an IGS out from AutoCAD, then an IGS into Rhino 5. BTW by no means am I a Rhino expert! Again, a lot faces again seemed to be missing, so some work still to do to get this workflow to be completely fluid. The AT-AT was a very complex form & I suspect there is some fine tuning which needs to happen in the cloud conversion process; certainly on more basic forms this will work as you can see from this example.

image

2 comments :

tVo said...

The missing faces are a known bug in Revit (and Vasari.) Any boolean on a face that DOES NOT go all the way through the body (e.g. an imprint) makes the hosting face disappear. Unfortunately, that bug was not fixed in 2014...

snowyweston said...

Have you used the boostyourbim addin to animate one walking yet?